Chicken Ghassi : South Indian Chicken Curry
The unique blend of coconut milk and tamarind juice is the speciality of this favourite South Indian dish.
Chicken 800 gm, skinned
Ginger paste 1 tbsp
Garlic paste 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Lemon juice 1 ½ tbsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Curry leaves 10 – 12
Garlic 3 – 4 cloves, chopped
Onion 1 medium, finely chopped
Tamarind pulp 1 ½ tbsp
Fresh coconut milk ½ cup
Oil to temper
Salt to taste
Grated Coconut 1 cup, dry roasted
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Black peppercorns 8 – 10
Coriander seeds 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds ¼ tsp
Dried red chilli 4
Onion 1 medium, chopped
Oil to temper
- Mix chicken pieces with garlic paste, ginger paste, turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt to taste. Set aside to marinate.
- In the meantime, heat some oil in a pan. Temper cumin seeds, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and dried red chilli.
- Place roasted grated coconut into a blender together with the tempered spices, chopped onion and enough water to blend into a smooth paste.
- Separately, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep pan or skillet. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Stir in chopped garlic and finely chopped onion. Fry until the onion is golden brown.
- Add in the marinated chicken and mix well.
- Add the ground coconut paste and stir well. Add enough water to submerge the chicken mixture. Bring to boil.
- Add tamarind pulp and fresh coconut milk. Mix well and let boil.
- Add salt to taste. Cook until chicken is tender.
- Serve hot with roti or your favourite rice dish.
Items of interest
Chicken Tikka Recipe 2
We do a lot of winging it when we get the tandoor...
Tandoori chicken. Serves 4....
Murgh Do Pyaza : Onion Chicken
Hyderabadi cuisine cooked with and garnished with...
Popular rice dish for celebrations. ...
Hot and spicy chicken dish from Andhrapradesh....